Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What kind of doctor are you?????

So I am sure that we all have received advice that wasn't asked for! Well this post is a little venting on my part. Preston has been out of diapers since the end of December. We did the 3 day boot camp for Preston. He deosn't say that he has to pee but will grab himself and start dancing around, so we know he has to go then. He sometimes will say he has to yucky, but his doctor told us that the poop in the toilet part takes a little longer to click, but it will. Okay, so yesterday Rob was telling his doctor that one of the reasons he doesn't get a lot of sleep sometimes at night, is because Preston wakes up around 3 or 4 AM and uses the bathroom and he can't fall back asleep after that, so she suggested that we put him in diapers, well pull ups which are overpriced glorified diapers to me, at night. ummmm.... WTF???!!!!! really, I snapped on Rob before he could even finish! First of all does he not remember how hardcore the 3 day boot camp was, why would I back track. Second of all I'm not getting much sleep either, I still breast feed Gracie which has some late night and early morning requirements. Third of all, diapers or pull ups, I use cloth diapers unless we are out of town, so why would I do disposables now and why would I waste that money. Fourth of all, at least he is waking up to pee, I have changed a wet bed at 4 in the morning and I much rather take him to the bathroom then to have to clean up a bed wetting accident. I was beyond pissed that she would even suggest such a thing, not to mention she has made previous suggestions that I was not a fan of. Since I am on a roll I will mention it, we co-sleep and we love it. Preston's bed is now right next to ours, but he will crawl in the big bed around 5 or 6 AM and of course Gracie is there all night. It started when Rob deployed and I was breast feeding Preston and terrified of SIDS so I just kept him in the bed with me. Rob hated it at first but after trying the cry it out method, which I could only do one night (I cried more than Preston), he really loved the co-sleeping. So we started putting him in a bed next to our bed once it came closer to my due date with Gracie so he wouldn't feel like we just kicked him out the bed! I didn't even bother to set up the crib once we moved, because it would just take up space and I knew Gracie wouldn't use it. Anywho, this same doctor suggested that we put her in a crib and him in a bed. Well, WOMAN, NO, simple as that, I have my ways of doing what makes me happy and what works for me. I don't like cribs, they scare me and I don't want to get out of bed go get her, nurse her, take her back to her room and sleep with a monitor on trying to listen to her breath, yes I'm that paranoid! And hello, have you not seen all the crib recalls and deaths. My crib has not been recalled, but I don't want an accident with my child to be the reason why it makes the list! I'm sure she also believes in filling babies up with tons of formula and cereal to make them sleep, I don't do either, but I'm just saying, it has been suggested. 
   It makes me so mad, when people try to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my own children. What works for some, doesn't work for others. I feel that I am their primary care-giver, 75% of their lives are spent with just me alone, so I'm not going to drive myself crazy doing what everyone else feels is right. I do what feels right and what feels natural, look at me with judgement eyes all you want, but at the end of the day, whenever it may be since my kids aren't on a schedule (judge some more people), I am happy with my children and how they are turning out. So for all you that like to judge here is a list for you to get to judging! I let them watch TV for more than 2 hours a day, I let Preston have milk and french fries for dinner, I hold Gracie while she sleeps (I did the same for Preston), I still exclusively breast feed Gracie and she rarely has solids, Preston has an ipod that he plays with for hours at a time, some days I let him eat french toast for all 3 meals, they have NEVER been sick, I sometimes hold Gracie in the Ergo carrier all day, we co-sleep, I use cloth diapers because I'm green, I pick them up as soon as they cry and over baby them sometimes, but you know what they are 2 of the happiest and healthiest children in the world. I rather enjoy every crazy moment with them than stress myself out to fit us in a perfect family mold! Okay, I'm done! here are some pics of the little happy children!








  

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, I think that is awesome how you are committed. I am potty training my son here soon can you tell me about this bootcamp thing?

    Write it in Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's the Laurie Jensen 3 day potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I love this. If your kids sleep with you fine. If they dont fine, if they eat all their food if not fine.. Who's way is the right way??? And girl please a diaper at night.. You may as well give him permission to pee his pants..You are an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girl, people seem to think their parenting ways are the only way! There will be NO DIAPER at any point for Preston, those days are gone!

    ReplyDelete