Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Everything always goes wrong when Rob leaves.......

So 2 weeks ago Rob headed to Virginia and the kids and I planned to meet my parents over in Savannah for some of the days he would be gone. He left out on the morning of June 6, a Monday and I planned on leaving on Tuesday. Well, when I took Preston to the bathroom that morning I noticed that his urine was really dark, almost tea colored. I didn't know what was going on so I decided to see what the next pee break looked liked and in the mean time I googled away. Well, around 10 his pee seemed to have a red color to it and I immediately got him and his sister dressed and headed to his doctor. I took him in as a walk in and we were seen pretty quickly. They needed a urine sample but he had just gone to the bathroom so after waiting for about 30 minutes I told the nurse I would bring the sample back. We live extremely close to the doctor so I went home and loaded him up on juice. I knew I would regret the number of bathroom breaks I was setting myself up for, but I needed that sample and i needed it fast! I think that he would have peed a lot sooner, but he had the urine bag collector tape to him, it's supposed to be easier to do it this way instead of a cup for his age. After about 20 minutes he finally went. I sealed the bag and loaded the kids back in the car and to Dr. Criscola we went. He was somewhat concerned because there was blood in the urine but also told me that it could be something as simple as a bruised penis. He also told me it could be an issue with his kidneys which sent immediate panic through my entire body. He sent us over to South GA for some lab work to just be on the safe side. Well, I was told by the nurse to go to the outpatient lab, when we got there I was told that we had to go to the main hospital and get registered there and then have the lab work done on the pediatrics floor. This meant that I had to load the kids back in the car seats, drive over to the main hospital and then unload them again. It was also 99 degrees out and I was beyond stressed. Once registered, which was a pain because the hospital didn't know the correct codes to put in on the lab request and could not get in touch with anyone from the doctor's office for about 30 minutes. We were finally sent up to the lab. This was honestly the most horrible part of my day...week...life! The regular nurse was out that day so that already was a bad sign. Nothing against the fill in nurse, but I would much rather a nurse that does this all the time to stick my kid over the girl who looked younger than me and seemed a bit nervous. She called in another nurse to help hold Preston down so they could get all the tubes of blood. He has never had lab work done and he is not old enough to understand what was going on. The process of trying to get enough blood from him went on for over an hour. We took breaks, they attempted to bribe him with stickers and juice, turned on the TV, nothing worked. With the first stick he peed on the table, I changed him and tried to calm him down and a total of 6 nurses tried to get blood. They did both arms, both feet and his hand. After painfully watching with tears in my eyes, i asked if there was something else we could do. The nurses agreed that none of them wanted to stick him again and had enough blood to do about 3 of the 6 test. They called the doctor and told him what was going on and he told me that I could bring Preston back in a week to complete the lab. I knew Rob would be home for a couple of days at the end of the week and I would have him there to help. Once we got home they day was over. I had not got anything done around the house and really had a bunch to do. Preston crashed as soon as we got in the car and his sister was still laughing. She seemed to find joy in his pain. The next time he peed it was normal and  has continued to be that way. Tuesday morning we headed over to Savannah. I was about 30 minutes out when his doctor's office called and told me that he would need an appointment with a nephrologist...I immediately started to cry, I already knew before she could explain that a nephrologist is a kidney doctor. My mind went to the thinking the worst, was there something wrong with his kidney, would he have to be on dialysis, would he need a new kidney....and then even more panic because I knew I had already donated my "extra" kidney.... what the hell were we going to do now?!?!?..... I called Rob in tears and told him what happened. He called to nurse back to get more of an explanation. We were told that anytime there is blood in the urine they are going to make sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with the child and that I could relax. He showed no signs of pain and had only peed 4 times with the blood in it, everything was now coming out normal. I relaxed a bit, and said a little prayer that everything would be okay. We headed on to Savannah and had a great week. My dad and his buddy buddy,( that is what he calls Preston) were two peas in a pod and Gracie, the girl that goes to know one really took to being with grandma. Anytime mom went and fixed a snack or had chips she let Miss Piggy have some, so I think that is what broke the ice. I was able to go out two nights in Savannah and spend time with friends that I don't see very often. I also went to my godparents and they were able to spend time with the kids. After almost a week, we headed back to Valdosta. It was kind of bittersweet to know that this would be the last time, at least for a while that I would do the most boring drive in the world, 84 East to Savannah and 84 West back to Valdosta.  

No comments:

Post a Comment