Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

You can get your kicks on Route 66

Day 6 Amarillo, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico 275.7 miles about 4 hours and 29 minutes.


Well, today I realized we have been on the road too long, not only are the cities and states starting to run together, but I only know what day it is based on our hotel confirmations....Anywho, we left Texas this morning and i was pretty happy to move along. We were near a cattle field and the smell once you left your room was super strong. We had breakfast at the hotel and even met a couple who had a daughter a week younger than Gracie! We both laughed at the fact that we had small babies and the fact that the growing curve is based in 8 pound babies that are formula fed. I usually get asked why my kids are so small, so it was nice to meet another mom that was so similar to myself. She was not much bigger than me and had nursed her daughter since birth so she was not much bigger than my Gracie. It made me feel good to see another kid her age close to her size. Sometimes I feel as if she should she be bigger just because all the other babies are, but any ways. We headed to Cadillac Ranch which has been one of the sites I have been waiting to see. It is literally in the middle of an old cow pasture. There is a fence around the whole property and and an unlocked gate that you go through and walk maybe a football field length to reach the Cadillac 's. The path is unpaved but flat when you compare it to the surrounding field. I would assume it is flat from all the foot traffic. There were a number of people coming and going. When you are walking up to the cars you see a lot of spray paint on the dirt path, about 20 feet away you stop smelling the cow shit or cattle shit smell and get hit with a strong spray paint smell. Painting the cars is not only allowed but encouraged, there is even an old tire full of cans in case you didn't bring your own. But I came prepared, I tagged all of our names on the cars and took lots of pictures. Before we finished tossing our cans in the tire our art work was already being covered up, good thing we took pictures. We got on the road and headed to New Mexico. Once we crossed the state line we hit another time zone change! We are currently in mountain time. The views along the 40 in New Mexico are what you would imagine, very dry looking, but pretty in an ugly way. I was in awe of the piles of rocks an mountains, but I would not say they were pretty to look at, but at the same time they were hard to ignore....Odd I know. Once we reached the city I realized I had made the reservations at the wrong Hilton Garden Inn. Luckily the location I wanted had rooms and we were able to get a suite for the same rate as a regular room. Buca di beppo is literally across the parking lot, so eating there was a must! It is one of my favorite places to eat even though they have the biggest portions and I always eat too much, it's worth it. We headed back to the room and had a couple of drinks and called it a night. Well kinda, I am up writing this as Gracie sleeps and Rob and Preston are watching tv. Tomorrow we go to Arizona and stay at the historic Wigwam Motel. I am beyond excited about our stay!


PS once again the kids were amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment