Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Interest lost......

Day 7 Albuquerque, New Mexico to Holbrook, Arizona 232.4 miles about 3 hours and 52 minutes.

Once again this morning we got up and had breakfast at the hotel before getting our day started. We also had to make a pit stop by Babies R Us and Best Buy. After those stops and getting gas we headed to Arizona. I was really excited about making it to Holbrook, AZ to stay at the Route 66 classic Wigwam. Besides Cadillac Ranch, this stay was one of the things I was most excited about. Once we checked in, Rob looking around the room and asked me about 4 times if I really wanted to stay there. I assured him it would be fun and that it was only for one night. The rooms are not very big and the bathroom is even smaller. We unloaded our stuff and headed to find something to eat. The town of Holbrook is not very big so it did not take us long to drive through the main area. We ended up going to a local sports bar/ pool hall/ Italian bistro/dance club. The food honestly wasn't bad. While there we found out that there is one grocery store, a Safe Way and the strip of businesses we saw were all that the town has to offer. Rob asked if there were any black people that lived in Holbrook and the server told us about 30.....We couldn't help but laugh. After eating we headed back to our Wigwam and after about 30 minutes of heavy winds the power went out. Although the sun had gone down and the winds were strong, it was still in the 90's in the room and having the front door open helped cool things down, but it also brought a ton of sand and dirt in the room. I told Rob that staying there without power was not an option and he went up to the front office to see the policy on cancellation because of no power. After about 10 minutes he came back and told me that he didn't ask. The office was full of women and felt that since I am the mean one I should go ask. I grabbed Gracie and we headed to the office. I asked the front desk clerk about the situation and she directed me to the manager. I told her that staying in a room without power was not an option for this family of four and she looked at me like I had just asked her where the UFO's were. She told me that she didn't understand what the problem was..... Really lady. I told her that she needed to come up with a solution to this issue, she then said that there was no power anywhere in town. I let her know that the Holiday Inn Express down the street had power and rooms available for the night. She then instructed one of the women to come check our room to make sure we had not used to towels or soap before agreeing to refund us half of our money. The room itself was not expensive, because it is very basic. It is one of those places you stay at just for kicks. We were told that once they had power they would issue the refund. We packed up and headed down the street and were pleased with the new room. I also discovered that I lost Preston's dog. Rob went down to the Wigwam to see if he was there, but no luck. He also said that they were giving out candles at the Wigwam because they still were without power. I am glad we got out when we did! I called the hotel in New Mexico to see if the dog was left there, but the cleaning staff had already left for the day so I will call back in the morning. I know exactly how to get another dog, so more than likely I will just order a new one tomorrow and have it sent overnight to the next hotel we move to. Thursday will mark 2 weeks of hotel living and I am getting tired of it. I don't mind staying in a hotel, I just hate going from room to room. I could deal with staying in one spot for a few days. I have also lost all interest in this road trip and I am just ready to get to 
Travis. I lose interest very quickly, so I am surprised I stayed pumped this long. Hopefully something amazing will happen to turn my mood on this trip around, until then I will just sip on my jack and coke every evening after check in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment