Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Toddler Bed....the making of

Most people that know me know that I am a bit on the crafty side, if it's a way to DIY I am more than likely going to chose that route. Rob on the other hand is the dad that pays ToysRUs to put the bike together or ask if he can buy the floor model so he doesn't have to put it together. Most of the time when I am starting a new project I don't tell him, because he usually responds with,"why don't you just buy it?" Well, we looked and looked at toddler beds for the kids and the one that I did like was a Pottery Barn upholstered bed that ran about $800 a piece on sale. While I am sure Rob would have tried to find a way to swing this purchase, it sounded a bit nuts to me to pay that much. So to google I went and found a perfect DIY guide for making two upholstered toddler beds. I hadn't planned on telling Rob, but I needed his help to get the wood home, so I had no choice. The whole time he asked if I still wanted to do it and that it seemed like a lot of work. Of course it seemed like a ton of work to the guy that asked to buy the floor model of a stroller, but I knew it wasn't that much work. I also had Rob go to the fabric store with me so he could pick out the pattern. Leave it to Rob to find Tommy Bahama fabric that was $26 a yard, lucky for us it was on sale for $8 which is still more than I would have spent, but he loves Tommy Bahama stuff and the kids room is surf/beach theme so it worked. After getting the wood and screws and fabric I went home to tackle my new project. Rob had no interest in the project and went out to shoot pool, he asked again before he left if I just wanted to go buy the other beds. Of course that just made me more determined to get this bed done! It took about 2 hours to complete because kid 1 and kid 2 found a way to play with the bed in every way that was not bed related along the way. Once done I was so happy that everything fit, I had read comments on the instructions I used that some peoples bed did not turn out correct. It worried me a little which is why I did one bed only. I plan on doing the other one in the next week or so. Below are the pics. Preston and Gracie both love it and fight over who gets to sleep in the new bed. Rob came home surprised at how cool it was and couldn't believe I did it without help. I love the fact that with all the pushing and rolling off the bed that happens in our house they have a cushion to bump into and the fall is not far if...no when they fall out! I will do a post of the whole room once I do Gracie's bed and her bedding arrives.


Building the frame
Yup, I let the 1 year old do the drilling

Apparently this is a break dancing stage, ignore the 2 bowls of spilled Goldfish that did not distract them at all

She was not a fan of me adding this
Trying to take it off

Adding the fabric
Thank God the mattress fit perfectly
His new bedding

2 comments:

  1. i follow your blog incessantly...its so good to know that my kids are "normal" - using that word lightly. The goldfish mess would have been a NIGHTMARE if that were my munchkins...gotta love it :) Now...show us the house! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Yes "normal" is hard to use some days in my house. I will do a house post as soon as we finish getting the new furniture. We just finished the kids room and now we are doing our bedroom. I have changed my mind about the living room furniture 10 times! It's a slow process but I will do a post on it!

    ReplyDelete