Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Preston goes to school!

Well, that time of me having to let go finally happened. On Tuesday Preston started his first day of montessori school. I cannot even begin to describe all the different emotions that I felt the days before the big milestone. Rob and I both were very excited for him to make this next step, but as a mom that stayed home with him every day of his life it was still hard. 
We have been talking about the school place for a while and although he didn't know what it was, he knew the word. So Tuesday morning I explained to him that we were taking him to school that day and that he would make new friends and play and have a lot of fun. He didn't seem to impressed but I often talk to his as if he really understands everything I say. Well, we dropped him off and said a quick goodbye. As soon as I walked out of the gate I could hear him crying, guess it was my "mommy ear" because Rob couldn't tell over the other kids! I immediately felt guilty and the tears started to form. I rushed to my Jeep and Gracie and I went home and Rob went to work. Once home it was so odd to only have one kid there. I really didn't know what to do, which made me cry a bit more. Although I am not the most emotional person when it comes to my kids it's a different story. I looked at the clock all morning and it seemed like 3 hours took forever to go by. At 11:37 Gracie and I headed to pick him up. Although pick up time isn't until 11:45 and it took 30 seconds to get there i couldn't wait any longer. When I went to the gate they were all outside playing and he ran up to me and I was so excited to see that smiling face. It felt like it had been days! I signed him out and once we got in the car I asked him all about his day. He went on and on and I understood every 3-4 words, but he seemed very excited. He kept telling me about circle time, the class bird(which he is calling Jewel because of Rio, but that's not the birds name), something about the pet snake and counting red apples. We went about of normal afternoon and night time routine and by 8:15 he was asleep. Not sure what they are doing all day but it is wearing him out! Although this is one of the hardest things for me to do and to let someone else have control when it comes to my child, I know that it is the right choice for him.  I can only teach him so much stuff and while when it comes to numbers, letters and simple reading he is amazing, I can't teach him the social skills that he needs and that that he will experience from being around so many other children. The teaching style on montessori is so hands on that I know he will thrive in this type of open classroom environment. He will go Monday-Friday from 8:45-11:45, and get the normal breaks that most schools get during the year. I will do an update next week of his progress and my progress too!





                                                                     The school

                                                               Ready for school

                                             I asked him if he was excited, this is the look I got

                                                Only wanted to drag the backpack, not wear it

                                                            Eating his breakfast

                                                  Running down the stairs to go to the car




No comments:

Post a Comment